We are excited to confirm the hospice at Very Special Kids House is now open for respite stays! To allow you time to plan, bookings can be made up to six months in advance.
In an effort to be fair and equitable to all families, and to help us transition into the new space, the following respite allocations will apply for each child:
- Up to 10 nights’ stay may be requested between Monday 4 September 2023 and Sunday 30 June 2024.
- A maximum of five consecutive nights’ stay can be requested between Monday 4 September 2023 and Sunday 30 June 2024.
- Bookings can be requested up to six months in advance.
- Alternative school holiday can be requested, with January school holidays available once every two years.
- One public holiday weekend can be requested per year.
- Please note, the hospice will be closed from Sunday 24 December to Tuesday 26 December, reopening Wednesday 27 December 2023. No bookings can be made during this time.
These allocations will be reviewed regularly and may change subject to demand and availability.
Road to Respite transport
We have recently acquired a new vehicle to assist with transport to and from the hospice but are unfortunately still waiting for it to be custom fit with the proper accessibility features.
If you are a regional family that requires transport assistance for your child’s respite stay, please let us know via the booking request form below. While we cannot guarantee availability, we are working with the Royal Flying Doctors Service to provide transport options where possible.
During construction, our family accommodation has been repurposed as a site office for our builders and will need its own makeover before it’s ready for use.
We expect it will be available for bookings come November and will keep you updated as we learn more.
How to make a booking request
Please note, your requested day(s) and number of nights is subject to availability and priority will always be given to end-of-life care admissions. If your request cannot be met, you may be placed on a waitlist.
We know many of you are looking forward to using the new hospice and we anticipate a large influx of booking requests over the coming weeks. We ask that you please allow up to 10–14 business days for our reply and thank you for your patience and understanding during this exciting and busy time.
We look forward to welcoming you to our new home from September.