Family Support Practitioner
- Not for profit sector, outer South Eastern suburbs
- Be a part of a supportive, inclusive Family Support Team
- 22.5 hours/3 days per week (flexibility available)
Very Special Kids provides holistic care for Victorian families facing the potential death of a child with a life limiting condition. We provide; counselling and emotional support for the whole family, medically-supported respite care and end of life care and long term bereavement support. Our free-of-charge services help more than 900 families across Victoria, with ongoing support, from the child’s diagnosis all the way through to recovery or bereavement and beyond.
We currently have a role available for an experienced practitioner to join our inclusive team of professional staff, based throughout Victoria, responsible for the delivery of psychosocial support to families. With backgrounds in social work, psychology, family therapy and counselling, the team provides a range of family-centred programs including counselling, sibling support, trained volunteers, group work activities and bereavement support.
Based in the outer South Eastern suburbs, this rewarding ole will have the opportunity to improve the quality of life for an existing portfolio of families and support group work programs.
The successful applicant will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in social work, psychology, counselling, family therapy or equivalent
- Direct significant experience working with children and families in the disability sector, community development, or the general health field required.
- Preferably including mental health, paediatrics and palliative care/grief and loss.
- Demonstrated ability to provide therapeutic intervention including formal counselling and emotional support to one or more family members, including children
- Demonstrated understanding and application of counselling theoretical frameworks
- Demonstrated ability to undertake psychosocial assessment and develop, implement and review level of support required to meet the changing needs of families
- A genuine interest and commitment to working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, LGBTIQ, refugee and culturally diverse families and communities, and other higher risk cohorts.
- Proven program implementation skills including service planning, evaluation and quality improvement activities
- Flexibility to work independently as well as within and across teams
- Bilingual will be highly regarded
- A commitment to the purpose, values and philosophy of Very Special Kids
- Current driver’s licence and willingness to travel
Very Special Kids offers its employees a supportive and rewarding environment including a supportive team, unique beautiful setting conveniently located to shops, parking and transport in Malvern, salary packaging, health & wellbeing initiatives and targeted individual development plans.
At Very Special Kids, our goal is for our workforce to reflect the diverse community we serve. We continually seek to employ people of any gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, with a disability, Aboriginal Australians and varied cultural backgrounds. If this sounds like you, please take a look at the position description here.
Please apply by Tuesday 9 March with a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria your resume to Katrina Hall, Human Resources Manager via email@example.com.
Very Special Kids is committed to providing a child-safe environment and requires all staff to have Working with Children and Police Record Checks.