Providing greater support with a hospice upgrade – important information for families
As the first children’s hospice in Australia, Very Special Kids Hospice is now over 23 years old. To ensure we continue to provide the highest level of care and support for you and your family, for the past two years Very Special Kids has been researching and planning ways to undertake an upgrade to the hospice that will enable the following outcomes:
- Introduce new medical technologies and improve the level of clinical care
- Provide for discreet adolescents spaces
- Better support children with behavioural support plans
- Enhance the special bedroom and end-of-life support
- Support the increasing therapies provided to children during their stay
- Improve the conditions and workplace aspects for nurses and carers
- Ensure the hospice is fit for purpose for the next 20-25 years
Working with Melbourne Design School, a feasibility study has been conducted including international best practice research and feedback from key stakeholders including families. Several areas for improvement have been identified to ensure our services continue to support families long into the future.
The aim is to provide state-of-the-art and best practice clinical facilities to better support children of every age, size, nationality and functional capability, so you can continue to feel reassured your child will be receiving the best specialised care whilst at Very Special Kids Hospice.
As part of the project scope, we are currently reviewing and researching the interim model of care for you and your family during a potential project build and will keep you informed throughout the process. Our number one priority will always be to ensure families receive the support they need and we are committed to achieving the best support we can provide should the hospice be unavailable for a period of time.
Upgrading the hospice will have a significant and long term impact on the future of Very Special Kids. It will allow for greater services, greater support and greater security in providing families the best care possible.
Categories: Family News, Hospice News