Very Special Kids & the Piggy Bank Appeal
Most of us had a piggy bank as a child to save for something really special, our iconic piggy banks are just bigger versions of the same thing, but the very special thing we’re saving for is Very Special Kids.
The Piggy Bank Appeal was launched in 1998 as the major fundraising appeal for Very Special Kids and 16 years on it has raised over $15 million through the generosity of the Victorian community. Our iconic five giant piggy bank trailers: Penelope, Percy, Princess, Patrick and Pete will once again take to our roads this September to raise a further $1 million in this milestone year.
Very Special Kids is a unique organisation that supports families throughout their experience of caring for children with life-threatening conditions, from diagnosis through to recovery or bereavement. Such illnesses include a range of neurodegenerative, genetic and rare conditions, muscular dystrophy and cancer.
Sadly, many of these children will not reach adulthood. Very Special Kids provides practical and emotional support for the child, the parents and the siblings through a team of highly professional staff and a network of trained volunteers. It will take more than $5 million to keep the doors of Very Special Kids open this year. We currently rely on the generosity of the community to raise more than $3 million.
The costs of supporting Very Special Families
Very Special Kids is proud to offer its services free-of-charge to those families that require assistance, but our services are not without cost. It will take more than $5 million to keep the doors of Very Special Kids open in 2012/13 and we rely on the generosity of the community and corporate sector to provide the majority of the funds needed to carry out these vital services.
The costs to support Very Special Families:
• It costs more than $1.7 million per year to operate Very Special Kids House, Victoria’s only children’s hospice
• On average, to support a family for a year it costs $6,000
• For a child to stay in the hospice for one night it costs $1000
• Very Special Kids needs to raise more than $3 million each year from the community, through donations, Appeals, events and other fundraising activities
• Families access our services free-of-charge
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Very Special Kids hope to raise from the Piggy Bank Appeal?
Very Special Kids aims to raise over $1 million during the 2013 Piggy Bank Appeal
When does the Piggy Bank Appeal occur?
The Piggy Bank Appeal is held annually in September.
Why Piggy Banks??
At some stage in their life, every child has a piggy bank or money box so they can save for ‘very special things’. The Very Special Kids’ Piggy Banks are just bigger versions and the special things that we’re saving for is some 'very special kids'.
How can I help?
Members of the public can support the Piggy Bank Appeal in several ways:
- Display a counter pig of collection tin to help raise funds. Help feed the piggy banks by displaying one of our cute piggy banks collection receptacles or an official collection tin at your workplace. Click here for further information
- Buy some piggy merchandise you can Click here to get your hands on some piggy goodness by purchasing merchandise individually or order pre-packed merchandise boxes ready for any counter-top. The easy to display pre-packed merchandise boxes are offered to businesses on a sale or return basis.
- Run a fundraising event. Organise a pig-out, colouring competition, coin tossing competitions, cake stalls, wine tours, auctions, trivia nights, head shavings, sausage sizzles, cocktail parties, dinner dances and much more! Click here for further information on ways to get involved.
- Feed our piggy banks when you see a counter piggy bank or when you see our volunteers with one of the giant piggy banks.
- Attend an event that someone in your area has organised or attend one of the major events of the Piggy Bank Appeal. Click here to view the calendar of events.
- I'd pay to see that! Get your school or workplace involved and pledge a minimum of $500 to see your boss, teacher or principal dress up as a cuddly piggy for the Piggy Bank Appeal. Upon registration Very Special Kids provides a cute pig suit to your school or workplace. Click here for further information.
How big are the giant piggy banks?
The giant piggy banks are 2.91 metres tall, 4.6 metres long, 2.1 metres wide and when empty they weigh 700 kilograms.
When did the Piggy Bank Appeal start?
The first Piggy Bank Appeal was first held in September 1998 and since then it has gone from strength to strength, each year in September, becoming one of the most fun and exciting fundraising appeals in Victoria.
Who created the Piggy Bank Appeal?
In 1998, in conjunction with Tatterstall’s, Rod Bennett of BADJAR Advertising created the concept of the Piggy Bank Appeal, including the five giant piggy banks. The majority of Rod’s initial ideas for the Piggy Bank Appeal are still part of the Appeal today.
Who runs the Piggy Bank Appeal?
The Fundraising and Communications Team at Very Special Kids manages the entire Appeal, including event management, logistics, marketing, media relations, volunteer co-ordination and corporate sponsorships. There are many generous businesses who donate their service or products for graphic design, website development, printing and advertising and other logistical requirements of the Piggy Bank Appeal.