Access to respite care
At Very Special Kids Hospice we aim to provide families with fair and equitable access to planned respite. Currently the amount of respite allocation for each child is as follows:
- families may have up to three weeks of respite per financial year, usually taken in blocks of no longer than two weeks
- bookings may be made up to six months in advance
- alternate school holidays may be requested and blocks of no longer than one week can be taken (exceptional circumstances will be taken into consideration). To be fair, please try to avoid planning for stays in the same school holiday period each year.
- exceptional circumstances will be considered
How to make a booking
Speak to the Hospice Manager or Deputy Hospice Manager who will allocate the requested stay dependent on:
- The amount of respite your family have already accessed in the current financial year
- The mix of children in at any one time e.g. the number of children with complex care needs
- Any urgent requests which will receive priority
You will receive a letter and an information pack in the mail approximately a month before your child’s stay. The information pack will include all documentation required to be completed and presented on the day of your child’s planned admission.
If your request is not able to be met the Hospice Manager or Deputy Hospice Manager will put your child on the waiting list for those particular dates and will contact you if a cancellation occurs.
If a child‘s stay gets cancelled due to sickness or last minute unforeseen circumstances and there is no one on the waiting list, we may call you for short notice respite which will not be included in your annual 3 week allowance. If you would like your child to be on the short notice respite list then please speak to the Hospice Manager or the Deputy Hospice Manager.
For Routine Bookings
Families are encouraged to make routine bookings during business hours 9.00am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. All bookings must be made with the Hospice Manager or Deputy Hospice Manager and bookings are subject to availability, with school holiday periods and weekends in high demand.
For Emergency Bookings
We understand sometimes emergency situations arise for your family. We encourage you to ring if urgent respite is required. This can be done at any time and if outside normal business hours please speak to the registered nurse on duty. Our capacity to meet emergency requests will depend on the mix of children and our ability to meet staffing requirements.
Contact the Very Special Kids Hospice
Phone: 03 9804 6218
Toll Free 1800 888 875