who we are
Very Special Kids is a unique organisation that supports families throughout their experience of caring for children with life-threatening conditions, from diagnosis through to recovery or bereavement.
Such conditions include cancer, muscular dystrophy, neuro-degenerative and genetic conditions and rare syndromes. Sadly, many of the children will not reach adulthood.
Very Special Kids provides a range of physical, emotional, social and spiritual support, which is offered:
- Centred on the family
- To all Victorian families of children with life-threatening conditions
- With specialist staff and trained Family Support Volunteers
- With the engagement of the community
Currently supporting more than 800 families across Victoria our services include trained volunteer support, counselling, bereavement support, hospital visiting, a sibling program, family camps and activities, newsletters and access to Very Special Kids House, Australia’s first and Victoria's only children’s hospice, offering planned and emergency respite and end-of-life care.
It costs more than $5 million per year to keep the doors open at Very Special Kids. As we rely on the generous support of the community to carry out our services, which are offered free-of-charge to families, all donations are gratefully accepted.
Very Special Kids is accredited by The Australian Council on Healthcare Standards through to April 2012. Very Special Kids seeks to provide a safe, secure and friendly environment for all children and their families and is also accredited with The Australian Council for Children and Youth Organisations (ACCYO).
Very Special Kids is a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our Australian Company Number (ACN) is 109 832 091 and our Australian Business Number (ABN) is 86 109 832 091.
Very Special Kids has an endorsement for the following charity tax concessions:
- a public benevolent institution (PBI) under Subdivision 30-B of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997;
- a deductible gift recipient (DGR) under section 30-15 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997;
- income tax exempt under Subdivision 50-B of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997;
- GST concessions under Division 176 of A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999; and
- FBT exemption under section 123C of the Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986.
Donations of $2 and over are tax deductible.